Monday, August 24, 2009

First List of Faves (and it changes often)

Hello Again -

Well, after a few days away (and a fairly big panic attack Saturday night, which I survived with just a bit of overreaction/humiliation) I've decided to post my first "Best Of" list.

Now, these types of lists change fairly often, but the top five spots usually stay fairly consistent. Slots 6-20 are always in flux, usually depending on how stable my memory is (lately, not too stable...anxiety kills stability of any kind).

So, here we go with my first list:

MY TOP FIVE DRUM SET PERFORMERS, WITHOUT REGARD TO GENRE

(1-4 IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER)

1. Buddy Rich

2. Jeff Porcaro

3. Stewart Copeland

4. Bill Bruford

5. Jimmy Chamberlin

Chamberlin is a last-minute entry; it was going to be Tim Alexander or Chamberlin.

With this list, it could be obvious to see that I do not immerse myself in the fusion/clinic scene, and that I do not consider it extremely impressive that a drummer has light-speed hands or feet. In fact, I'd rather listen to an hour of a player like Charlie Watts or Tony Thompson than Dennis Chambers or Vinnie Colaiuta

It's not that what they do doesn't impress me - it does. But I like to see guys that have a somewhat "lack" of speed-chops be able to stretch the creativity in other ways. Bruford falls into this category. The other top five all have abilities that separate them from most everybody else. Buddy Rich, well, you know. Stewart Copeland had a truly original style, and wrote the intro to the book on interesting hi-hat/ride playing. Jeff Porcaro was so totally solid (the other side of the coin that Bonham is on) yet also insanely versatile. Jimmy Chamberlin has everything: speed, depth, time, and beautiful independence.

I believe the drum community places too much emphasis on speed-chops and blazing feet. In a way like the guitar equivalent of Yngwie Malmsteen. Fun to listen to, but too much reliance on speed playing.

"Well, you're saying these things because you're slow, and you're just jealous of these guys."

Well, I'm not "slow", nor am I "jealous". A little envious of the ease these players produce such speed, perhaps, but I recognize that I have my own style and place. This is another reason I choose not to follow the clinic "scene" or instructional videos. I believe it's far more important to develop your own style outside of the Guitar Center DVD rack OR the Zildjian/Yamaha clinic circuit.

Anyway, I'll include my 6-10 portion of the drummer list (maybe through 20) next post, and possibly relate some interesting panic/anxiety stories and how this relates to my music career. Can't disclose the torture of 1990 yet...I don't think we know each other well enough - yet.

'Till next time - control the sticks with the fingers.

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment